Friday, September 7, 2007

I. Use. The. Handknits.

Ann and Kay like to point out that handknits are meant to be used. I made a batch of dishcloths last year, and took a nice picture of them:



Here's what they look like now, after a year of hard use:



Now, granted, the pictures were not taken under the same conditions, because we've moved since then and I used a different camera. But it's clear they are well-worn and well-loved. I launder all my dish towels and warshcloths on hot, which has taken its toll along with the dishwater and the scrubbing.

I can't understand why some people, like my mom, consider knitted dishcloths too heavy and thick for washing dishes. I'm glad she told me that, though, so I don't waste time making them for her. I'm slow and distractable enough when I'm making things people actually want.

4 comments:

hakucho said...

You well-used (loved) ballbands are still beautiful. Ballbands are my all time favorite cloth!

happy knitting :)

Amanda said...

I use the fire out of my dishcloths too! I can't imagine just sitting them in a basket to look at from time to time. Your's have been well loved, but there's still a little life left in them too.

Leslie said...

Howdy neighbor! I live in Greenwood about an hours drive from Greenville. My ballbands and cloths look almost as used and loved as yours. Never have understood people who won't use the cloths. One can never have too many.

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

I'm a neighbor, too...living in Greer. I came to your blog via MDK. I'm just thrilled to see you using your ballbands...mine have all been given away...I need to make some for my own use and enjoyment!

I'd love to hear more about the knitting at Barnes & Noble...is it a group that meets regularly?