Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Harlot redux

Lucky me, I got to see the Yarn Harlot again in Atlanta this past Sunday! My mom came with me again, and we drove down in record time, since Arden at 10 months could stay home with big sister, Daddy and Grandpa. We met up with Becky, whom I met at the Greenville Knitting Guild's Knit Inn back in February. She blogged about it, I didn't. She's a lovely person and we hit it off immediately; it was nice to see her again.

This is my mom and me outside Knitch, in front of their scarecrow bird thing. It's knitting, of course!



This time around, we got there in plenty of time to hang out at Knitch on the comfy couch before lunch, peruse the shop, buy some things (thanks Mom!), see a friend who ended up in the First Sock Brigade, and more. We had lunch (thanks Mom!) at Atkins Park Restaurant, which offered $5 off the bill to knitters, and then got in line for the Knit-In. This is Becky and me in line outside the theatre:



The line went fast, and in we went. We knit, we chatted, we checked our raffle tickets with bated breath. There were lots of raffle items, and Becky won a class with Annie Modesitt. I was really hoping for one of the $25 Knitch gift cards, so I could go buy Addi Turbos in the size I need for the shawl I'm working on, but it was not to be.

Then the Harlot came on, after a horrible day which is detailed on her blog, and was as funny as ever. We stayed for the signing afterward, which took place upstairs at Knitch, and the second set was delayed enough by the "preboarding" to give me time to pump breastmilk while my mom and Becky waited in line. This time, we got a good picture with the Harlot herself:



I got to hold the sock, and Stephanie is holding the bottle of wine I brought her. It's called "Dyed in the Wool," from New Zealand, and has a sheep on the label. She also signed a bottle of it for me. I hope it helped take the edge off the wait for her suitcase to arrive.

It was a long, exciting day. Becky went home after the signing, and my mom and I had Thai food for dinner. We were going to try a Thai place at the other end of the alley from Knitch, with a sort of jungly garden, but it was empty and the proprietor unfriendly, so we went to another Thai restaurant just in front of it, on the main drag (Virginia Ave.?). I think it was called Surin. Very friendly, very busy, very good.

During the day, I made good progress on my Delta Shawl. It's a pattern I bought at Earth Guild a few years ago, started, messed up, and tossed into hibernation. I frogged it Saturday night after a failed intervention to fix the mistake, and started over on the drive to Atlanta. I will try to post pictures soon.

The Sweater That Will Not End is all knitted! Now I just have to sew it together and finish it. I bought buttons for it at Knitch, so I have no excuse now not to finish. I have a number of other FOs to talk about too, so I will try to get another post written in a timely manner. Let's see how distracted I get.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I navigated here from my friend Becky's blog and just wanted to say Hi! I look forward to seeing a picture of your sweet girl knitting! I taught my son when he was 5--it went s-l-o-w, but was worth the effort. We're going to be in Asheville this weekend, so I appreciate the link to Asheville Homecrafts. We always try to go to Yarn Paradise in Biltmore Village--now I have another one to try :) My poor, long-suffering hubby (who only takes me to yarn stores to pick out sock yarn for me to make him socks!).